GONOLA's Top 5 New Orleans Christmas Gifts February 27 2012
GoNOLA Top 5: New Orleans Christmas Gifts and Where to Get Them
So you haven’t finished your Christmas shopping. Let’s be honest – you haven’t even started. But we’re not here to judge, we’re here to help! It’s not quite last minute yet – but the window of opportunity for holiday shopping will slowly and steadily shut upon us. These five unique and personal only-to-be-found-in-NOLA gifts will protect you from buying all the silly cat day planners from Walgreens out of sheer panic and defeat.
1. Clay Creations – If you can’t physically be in New Orleans – or even if you can – you can at least be surrounded by miniature ceramic replicas of your favorite establishments. Not only are Clay Creations cool pieces of art that make perfect New Orleans gifts, but they go one step further for your convenience. Where to find it: All you have to do is go to their website to order and ship to avoid being in an Arnold Schwarzenegger in Jingle All the Way kind of scenario. Because of the high holiday activity, orders may not be delivered until after Christmas but any true New Orleanian won’t mind the wait.
2. New Orleans Drink Deck – You’re too broke to play poker and Old Maid and Go Fish just aren’t cutting it anymore. Enter Drink Deck – the interactive bar-crawl inducing card game tailored to New Orleans nightlife. In a nutshell, Drink Deck is a deck of cards, each with a local bar that falls into a category from swank to jank. On the card is the bar’s location, special or not-so-special features and a redeemable deal such as $10 or 30% off a tab. This is one steal-worthy gift in a game of Dirty Santa. Where to find it: Drink Deck is for saleonline.
3. Scriptura – Scriptura is great for not spending as much on those at the bottom of the shopping list while still maintaining a thoughtful reputation. The fine stationary store also has a selection of more substantial decorative paper products for those feeling a bit more generous. Send NOLA-style yuletide greetings that are sure to earn a spot on the refrigerator. Where to find it: 5423 Magazine Street.
4. Dr. Bob – Local folk-art hero Dr. Bob is the man responsible for the pertly worded signs around town like the saucy “Be Nice Or Leave!” slogan. The messages painted in the New Orleans dialect are coveted pieces of authentic local art. Besides the New Orleans and Saints themed signs, Dr. Bob makes a variety of holiday signs, including “Shalom, Y’all” for those of us celebrating Hanukkah. Where to find it:The exclusive online vendor of Dr. Bob art is Louie’s Juke Joint on eBay and additional art can be purchased on theofficial website. Dr. Bob’s studio is located at 3027 Chartres St. in the Bywater.
5. Sterling Silvia – If your girl or your mom is dropping hints that she expects jewelry for Christmas and rolls her eyes every time the “Every Kiss Begins With Kay” commercial comes on, then Sterling Silvia is a great, affordable option. The jewelry store in the French Market designs custom New Orleans silver accessories with fleur de lis and water meter shapes and markings. Where to find it: 41 French Market Place.
Click here to see the article on GO NOLA's website.